Xsan 4: Volume mounting, but not showing in Server app

cutmoney's picture

After reconfiguring my MDC (which had something screwed up in OD), I'm having an issue with my Xsan volume listing in Server app. It shows that Xsan is up and running, but the volumes window is blank. I was able to successfully add a backup MDC and they both are able to find each other without issue, however neither the MDC or backup MDC show the volume in the window. They do, however, both mount the volume without issue.

There is one issue, that I know of, that I'm pretty sure this is causing an issue for. Whenever I add the profile to a new client machine the volume does not mount without forcing a mount using "xsanctl mount Media". Once mounted, there are no problems that I can tell, however I haven't used it with this issue long enough to tell. Essentially it seems like it can find the volume, it just doesn't know that it's available without telling it to look for it. I've searched for a long time to try to find a config file that may control this behavior, but I can't identify anything yet. If anyone knows what file controls the display of the volumes or how to fix this issue I would appreciate the help. Also, I already have 25TB on this volume so destroying/recreating it is not really an option I would like to explore.

BlackF1re's picture

Hello Cutmoney
I once had a similar problem with Xsan 4 (but i was able to destroy/recreate, so it was easier)

A couple of questions:

Did you reconfigured your server AFTER creating the OD Master/Replica and the Xsan Volume?
The reconfiguration included the changing of the hostname of the Server?

If you did this, i recommend you to go back to the previous config to have your volume back, because now the OD is completely screwed, and if OD doesn't work, so Xsan Volume will not show.

Let me know

Personal Website: http://gabriele-zanon.branded.me
Twitter: @GabrieleZanon83
Linkedin: https://it.linkedin.com/in/neverimpossible

cutmoney's picture

Basically there was an issue where the MDC and secondary MDC were not displaying property in Server app. OD would not allow any modifications of the hosts, we determined that OD was definitely corrupted in some way. I tried everything to fix the OD config but was unable to do so. I ended up having to just delete the Xsan config and clear all the configs for OD and start fresh. However, I saved backups of my Xsan preferences, as well as my volume config file. I started fresh, added a couple of config files (including the Xsan config) back to the Xsan preferences folder.

I'm quite sure it is an issue with OD, but whenever I try to reload my previous config it loses connectivity with all the clients as there is some sort of corrupted file. Is there anything I can manually configure in OD to fix the issue that you know of? Thanks for the help!

BlackF1re's picture

Honestly i tend to avoid OD in my Xsan.
Unfortunately, it's mandatory in this new Yosemite system, so once i configure it, i leave it alone.
What i've noticed, it's that the new Xsan takes as metadata network the primary network defined by the hostname, so it's needed to set the hostname in private network before creating the OD master.
In this mode, i have the metadata network properly in the fsnameserver file.

I'm also facing problems in retiring the Xsan volume on windows system.

Does it work the SMB share on windows on your side?

Personal Website: http://gabriele-zanon.branded.me
Twitter: @GabrieleZanon83
Linkedin: https://it.linkedin.com/in/neverimpossible

cutmoney's picture

I'm not running any Windows machines on this Volume, it's an all Mac video lab. I was able to successfully setup my OD with my primary and secondary MDC, as well as configure both of the machines on Xsan. I'm sure there's something in OD that needs to be reconfigured in order to recognize that the volume is present, but I just can't figure out what that is. What's weird is that it will mount on both the MDC and secondary MDC without issue, but it just doesn't display in the Server app. I'm just afraid that this will cause issues down the road. Also, it requires a manual mount on the client machines the first time around.

cutmoney's picture

I just thought I would post the solution to my problem from a response from a helpful user on the Apple forums. This worked for me, hopefully it could help someone else:

It would seem that the Xsan configuration stored in LDAP does not include your volume. You could try these steps to resync the configuration files stored in /Library/Preferences/Xsan and the configuration in LDAP:
Important: Make a backup copy of the /Library/Preferences/Xsan directory on each MDC.
If I'm right about LDAP not including your volume, the secondary won't have any .cfgp file in its /Library/Preferences/Xsan directory--unless you put it there.
Remove the secondary MDC from the SAN.
On the primary MDC:
Check that your volume name appears in /Library/Preferences/Xsan/fsmlist. See the fsmlist(4) man page for details. You will have to use the full path to that man page, e.g. "man /System/Library/Filesystems/acfs.fs/Contents/man/man4/fsmlist.4".
Update the LDAP configuration with: "sudo xsanctl pushConfigUpdate". See the xsanctl(8) man page for more information. ("man xsanctl")
Your existing volumes should reappear in Server app when you do this. You may need to do command-R to refresh the view. If you don't see your volume, review the output of "xsanctl pushConfigUpdate" to see if it explains what failed.
Add the secondary MDC back to the SAN.
Assuming pushConfigUpdate worked, the secondary MDC should automatically mount your volume when you add it. The same should happen for any additional clients you add to the SAN.