10.8 and Licensing

ambilzi's picture

Hello all, hopefully this is the right place.

I manage a few XSan installations and I've been very pleased with the licensing cost improvements in the newer Mac OSs in regards to XSan.

This week I am deploying a software upgrade to an existing, 10.6 based XSan infrastructure to 10.8.2. When I was setting up XSan, it required me to enter all the XSan licenses.

I thought this strange, as I did another, new XSan deployment on newer hardware just a few months ago and it didn't require any licensing to be entered. In fact, when I look at their XSan admin there is no section for Serial Numbers in the side bar, and on this most recent installation/upgrade, there is a section for Serial Numbers.

The only real difference between the two installations is the upgrade I am doing this week is a clean config installation on older hardware (2009 XServes and 2010 Mac Pros) whereas the installation from earlier this year that did not require the serial numbers are on all 2010 Mac Pros.

Can anyone shine some light on this differing experiences?

Screenshot from the 2009 Xserve metadata controller on the recent installation:
http://i.imgur.com/CK6s5Gk.png

Screenshot from the 2010 Mac Pro metadata controller on the installation from earlier in the year:
http://i.imgur.com/TFVpGXV.png

abstractrude's picture

10.6 clients still require a licensed seat

-Trevor Carlson
THUMBWAR

ambilzi's picture

Yes, of course. However this XSan is running on 10.8, and all the clients are running 10.8. Why, then, did this XSan setup procedure require me to install XSan licenses and the one I did just 2 months ago, also on 10.8 server with all 10.8 clients, did not?

I should mention that it doesn't appear that either of the metaservers are actually [i]using/i any of the licenses, so I don't think they were required for operation. I suppose I didn't bother to check to see if I was able to simply skip the license installation process... too late now I suppose.

abstractrude's picture

10.8 Controllers still have support for licensed clients. I wouldn't worry about it. Delete the licensing afterwards if you want. Remember its just building out an XML file. You can modify it.

-Trevor Carlson
THUMBWAR