Office 2016

sgljungholm's picture

I just updated our network to office 2016, we are now unable to save any Office files directly to the SAN. I can save them over a file share to the same location so it's not a permissions issue. Has anyone seen this happen yet? I can save the files to my desktop and copy them over but then I am unable to edit them directly.

LameBeard's picture

Same problem here.

I’m having issues with *all* Office 2016 for Mac (v.15.24) programs being unable to write/save files other than PDF to our XSAN and user home folders. The error reads: Alert - Document Not Saved. Excel spreads (.xlsx), word docs (.docx), powerpoint (.pptx) files refuse to be written despite user permissions to the destination being Read/Write. I use OS X Server to set these permissions. The workaround is to save the file locally and then move it to the desired location. When this document is opened again from the xsan location, it cannot be overwritten, it must still be saved locally.

When Office for Mac 2016 performs a save, it saves a temporary directory on the volume first, and then swaps the file with the actual file the user wants to save to (to prevent corruption of the original file). Normally, the temporary directory path returned by Apple's API will be somewhere located in a hidden folder called ".TemporaryItems" in the root of the share where the user has mounted (in our case, /Volumes/Stornext/.TemporaryItems). Normally, access to this location is Everyone>Read Only, but I've set the ACL permissions to Read/Write, with no change. I would like to use OS X Server to change the permissions but Server does not reveal the hidden folder: .TemporaryItems

Microsoft Office 2011 has no trouble writing [.pptx, .xlsx, .docx] files to the xsan, which leads me to believe that something with Office 2016 might be the issue, rather than our san.

El Capitan v.10.11.5
Office 2016 for Mac v. 15.24
Quantum Stornext 5